When someone, who is Tottenham Hotspurs fan, have visited me yesterday to redeem their gift token, I have decided to be experimental and try something really new. Earl Grey and Elderflower have popped into my head as both flavours are fragrant and delicate (well... maybe both fragrant not in the same way, but still worth to try I thought).So this is how I made it... EARL GREY CAKE WITH ELDERFLOWER BUTTERCREAM
(for the cake)
- 340g caster sugar
- 16 Earl Grey tea bags (removed from the bags)
- 8 eggs
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
(for the buttercream)
- 230g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- 4tbsp elderflower cordial
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line thee round sandwich tins (I used spring form tins) with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl beat the eggs, then add sugar, tea leaves (from the tea bags), oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Mix well!
3. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to the liquid ingredients. Mix until well combined.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pans and tilt pan to distribute the mixture evenly.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Check at 12 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back when pressed with fingers.
6. Meanwhile make the buttercream by creaming the butter with icing sugar. Add elderflower cordial gradually by constantly mixing the cream.