Today I have been making candy as I heard that today is a “Sweetest Day” (not in London, but in some parts of America)… Aww! Although I prefer a biscuit or a cake before eating any sweets, I still love it when it is made with the interesting flavours. This is why making a candy is soo much fun. My favourite one I came up with is vanilla and peppercorn candy. Love the sweet with the bite and this is perfect for halloween trick or treat!
VANILLA AND PEPPERCORN CANDY
- 60ml water
- 200g sugar
- 40g golden syrup
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- a drop of black food colouring
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
1. Prepare for everything! line a baking tray with baking paper and spray oil on it. Have the thermometer and lollypop sticks ready (I cut down some wooden skewers for this). Fill frying pan with some cold water and set aside.
2. In small saucepan combine all ingredients except black pepper and place it on the medium heat.
3. Bring it to boil and insert the thermometer in the pan. Stir occasionally until the sugar reaches 143C temperature.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately dip the bottom of it into the pan filled with cold water, removing quickly before the mixture gets too cold. Stir in black pepper into the candy mixture.
5. Using a table spoon, immediately spoon out pools of syrup on prepared baking sheet. Lay one end of the lollypop stick in each pool of syrup while still soft and push gently to secure in place.Let cool at room temperature until completely set, about 2 hours.
Have a sweet day!