As Halloween is fast approaching I thought I will bake Beetroot chocolate meringue cake for today's knitting group meet up. I made the meringues on the cake look like little ghost! The base recipe is adopted from "A Tiny Bit Marvellous" by Dawn French (surprisingly not a recipe book, but a novel).
BEETROOT CHOCOLATE MERINGUE CAKE
(for the base)
- 180g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180g plain flour
- 180g ground almonds
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 200ml yogurt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 200g raw, peeled and finely grated beetroot
(for the meringue)
- 100g egg whites (about 3)
- pinch of citric acid, tartar or 1tsp of lemon juice
- 125g icing sugar
- 6g dark chocolate
1. Whisk sugar with eggs until light and slightly fluffy.
2. Mix the egg mixture with the rest of the ingredients and combine well.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake it for 30min in the preheated 180C oven.
4. Meanwhile whisk the egg whites with a pinch of citric acid until it forms soft peeks. Slowly add sugar and combine it carefully.
5. Using a piping bag pipe out the meringues onto the half baked cake. Continue baking for another 30 min.
6. Once the cake is cooled, melt some chocolate and carefully "paint" the eyes onto the meringues with the toothpick.