English muffins are great for breakfast, especially when making Eggs Benedict! And it’s easy to bake them too… well, actually you almost fry them in the pan. So basically you don’t even need an oven!
Today I have decided to make a healthier version of Eggs Florentine (its like Eggs Benedict but with spinach). Therefore I experimented and made English muffins wholemeal. I am pretty pleased with the results! Made little batch just because I wasn’t sure how it will turn out. do double or triple the amounts, because the recipe bellow only makes 3 English muffins.
WHOLEMEAL ENGLISH MUFFINS
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 70g plain flour
- 3g fast acting dry yeast
- 4g salt
- 110ml warm water
- drizzle of sunflower oil
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl to form a sticky dough.
2.Turn the dough out on to a clean work surface. Kneed for 10min until smooth.
3. Shape the dough into the round , coat with a little extra oil and place in the clean bowl to rise for about an hour.
4. Deflate the dough by pressing it all over and divide it into three rounds.
5. Let the dough rise for another half and hour.
6. Preheat heavy pan (cast iron one would be perfect) and lay the muffins inside.
7. “Fry” the muffins dry and turn them over gently time to time. This process takes about 10 min. Initially the muffins might be sticking together, but that should be more hand-able ones the muffins gain the crust.
The muffins then can be toasted, buttered and served with the eggs. In my case scenario I toped it with weltered spinach (remember? low-fat Eggs Florentine?).
Pouched eggs of course…
and Hollandaise sauce. Although that is rich in fats I hear you say. Luckily I have recently discovered no butter Hollandaise sauce which taste as nice!
- 1 egg
- juice of half lemon
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder (e.g such as Colman’s Mustard)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp water
1. Put all the ingredients in heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
2. Whisk for 5 min or until the sauce thickens to mayonnaise consistency. Remove from the heat as soon as it is done.