I know I know, bbq season is almost over, but I could not help but share my favourite recipe of the year! I was so addicted to bbq this year that I probably made this at least five times I think. The recipe is adopted from my dad who made it while I was in Lithuania this year (and many times before when I was little). Its fairly easy to prep, just need to think of it the day before because it needs to marinate overnight. It's pork unlike the other "shashlik" dishes in Middle East, but thats what makes it Lithuanian even though the name suggest otherwise. I love its freshness and the smell after marinating it overnight, it's a must try!
ŠAŠLYKAI (SHASHLIK LITHUANIAN WAY) feeds at least 5
- 1.5kg pork, chopped into chunks for skewers (I used pork shoulder steaks)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finelly chopped
- 2-3 chilli peppers, finelly chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence
- salt and pepper to taste (be generous here)
- juice of one lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl, mix it well and cover it with plate so it is well compressed. Refrigerate the meat overnight. 2. The following day (can be even in the evening if you like), put the meat onto the skewers and you are ready to bbq. 3. Serve it with plain rice, green salad and good quality ketchup (it really makes all the difference). I hope you will find the time while the weather is still warm and enjoy it as much as I did ;-).